Practicing The Examen (Devotional)
The 400-year-old spiritual discipline of the Examen can help you discern God’s guidance in your daily life.
The Examen is a spiritual discipline that helps you bring God into your day-to-day work. It's five steps – tune into God’s presence, review your day, notice emotions, discern, and look ahead – force you to search for God’s guidance in the smallest details of your life.
St. Ignatius, who developed the Examen over four centuries ago, believed as it says in Colossians 3:23 that all the work you do can be a spiritual discipline. When you work with the intention of glorifying God, all your activities are important.
Practice the Examen:
- Tune into God’s presence. God, be with me as I reflect on my day.
- Review your day. What gave me joy today? What troubled me today?
- Notice your emotions. What made me feel most strongly?
- Discern. What are you asking me to notice, God?
- Look ahead. What guidance do you have for me?
Prayer: God, thank you for being with me in the smallest moments of my daily work. May all my work serve you. Be with me this week as I reflect and discern.