BibliographyAcademic Paper / Produced by Individual TOW Project member
Abbott, W.M. (ed). 1966 The Documents of Vatican II. London-Dublin: Geoffrey Chapman.
Adams, David. 1992 Power Lines: Celtic Prayers About Work. London: Triangle, SPCK.
Agrell, Goran. 1976 Work, Toil and Sustenance: An Examination of the View of Work in the New Testament. Trans Stephen Westerholm Verbum Hakan Ohlssons Forlag: Sweden.
Albert, Susan Wittig. 1992 Work of Her Own. New York: G.P. Putnam’s Sons.
Alston, Cyprian. 1907 ‘The Benedictine Order’ in Herbermann C.G., Edward Pace, et al. (Eds). The Catholic Encyclopaedia Vol. II pp.443-465. New York: Robert Appleton Co.
Althaus, Paul. 1972  The Ethics of Martin Luther. Robert C. Shultz. Trans. Philadelphia: Fortress Press.
Amirtham, S. and Pobee J. S. (Eds.) 1986 Theology By The People: Reflections on Doing Theology In Community. Geneva: WCC.
Anderson, James D. and Ezra Earl Jones. 1986 Ministry Of The Laity. San Francisco: Harper and Row.
Anderson, Leith. 1994 ‘Clocking Out’ in Christianity Today: September 12, 1994 also in Leadership: Fall 1994. Vol XV No. 4.
Archbishops’ Commission on Rural Areas. 1990 Faith In The Countryside. Stoneleigh Park, Warwickshire: Acora Publishing.
Attwood, David. 1987 Exaggerated Christian Doctrines of Work: CoCreation, Redemption and Worship. Unpublished Tyndale Ethics Lecture, Tyndale House, Cambridge, 1987.
Aumann, J. 1990 On The Frontlines: The Lay Person in the Church After Vatican II. New York: Alba House.
Ayers, Frances O. 1962 The Ministry of the Laity. Philadelphia: Westminister.
Bainton, Roland H. 1950 Here I Stand: A Life of Martin Luther. Nashville: Abingdon.
- 1956 ‘The Ministry in the Middle Ages’ in H. Richard Niebuhr and Daniel Day Williams, The Ministry in Historical Perspective. New York: Harpers.
- 1982 ‘Calvin, Beza and the Protestant Work Ethic’ in The Reformed Journal April 1982. pp.18-21.
Ballard, Paul H. 1982 Towards A Contemporary Theology of Work. Cardiff: Council of Churches for Wales.
- 1984 Unemployment and Theology. Exeter: PACT - Council for Christian Care.
- 1987 In And Out of Work: A Pastoral Perspective. Edinburgh: St Andrews Press.
Banks, Robert J. 1987 All The Business Of Life. Sutherland, NSW: Albatross.
- 1992 God The Worker. Sutherland, NSW: Albatross.
Banks, Robert J. (ed). 1983 Private Values And Public Policy. Homebush West, NSW: Lancer.
- 1993 Faith Goes To Work: Reflections from the Marketplace. Washington DC: Alban Institute.
Banks, Robert J. and Gordon Preece. 1992 Getting The Job Done Right. Wheaton, Illinois: Victor Books.
Banks, Robert J. and R. Paul Stevens (eds). 1997 The Complete Book of Everyday Christianity: An A-to-Z Guide To Following Christ In Every Aspect Of Life. Downers Grove, IL: IVP.
Barciauskas, Rosemary Curran and Debra Beery Hull. 1989 Loving And Working: Reweaving Women’s Public And Private Lives. Houston, TX: Meyer, Stone & Co.
Barnes, Geoffrey, 1991 The Forgotten Factor: The Story Of Lay People In The Church. Melbourne: Uniting Church Press.
Barnette, Henlee H. 1965 Christian Calling and Vocation. Grand Rapids: Baker.
Barrington, Rosemary and Alison Gray. 1981 The Smith Women. Wellington: AH & AW Reed Ltd.
Barth, Karl.  1961 Church Dogmatics Volume III Part Four: The Doctrine of Creation. G.W. Bromiley & T.F. Torrance eds. Edinburgh: T. and T. Clark.
-  1962 Church Dogmatics Volume IV Part Three (Second Half). The Doctrine of Reconciliation. G.W. Bromiley & T.F. Torrance eds. Edinburgh: T and T Clark.
Bastick, S. 1990 ‘Working Women: Choice or Compulsion?’ ITM Mission No. 10, October 1990 pp.1, 5-7.
Baum, G. 1987 Theology and Society. New York: Paulist Press.
Bell, Claudia and Vivienne Adair. 1985 Women and Change: A Study of New Zealand Women. Wellington: National Council of Women.
Bellah, Robert N., R. Madsen, W.M. Sullivan, A. Swidler and S.M. Tipton. 1985 Habits of the Heart: Individualism and Commitment in American Life. Berkeley, California: University of California Press.
Benedict, Saint. 1975  The Rule of St Benedict. Translated with Introduction and notes by Anthony C. Meisel and M.L. del Mastro. New York: Image Books.
Bernbaum, J.A. and S.M. Steer. 1986 Why Work?: Careers and Employment in Biblical Perspective. Grand Rapids: Baker Book House.
Blatherwick, Douglas P. 1959 A Layman Speaks. London: Epworth.
Bleakey, David. 1981 In Place of Work ... The Sufficient Society. London: SCM.
- 1983 Work: The Shadow And the Substance. London: SCM.
- 1985 Beyond Work - Free To Be. London: SCM.
- 1986 Future Work? Geneva: WCC.
Boldt, Laurence G. 1996 How to Find the Work You Love. New York / London: Penguin Arkana.
Bolles, Richard Nelson. 1981 The Three Boxes of Life. Berkeley, CA.: Ten Speed Press.
- 1988 (updated every year) What Colour Is Your Parachute? Berkeley, CA.: Ten Speed Press.
- 1991a How to Find Your Mission In Life. Berkeley, CA.: Ten Speed Press.
- 1991b How to Create A Picture of Your Ideal Job or Next Career. Berkeley, CA: Ten Speed Press.
Bonhoeffer, Dietrich. 1986 Ethics edited by Eberhard Bethge (Translated by Neville Horton Smith from the German Ethik, Kaiser Verlag: Munich 1949). New York: Collier Books.
Bosch, David. 1991 Transforming Mission. New York: Orbis.
Boston, Jonathan. 1995 Unpublished sermon manuscript. Wellington Central Baptist Church.
Braun, Neil. 1971 Laity Mobilized: Reflections on Church Growth in Japan and Other Lands. Grand Rapids, MI: Eerdmans.
Bridges, William. 1980 Transitions: Making Sense of Life’s Changes. Reading, MA: Addison-Wesley.
- 1991 Managing Transitions: Making The Most Of Change. Reading, MA: Addison-Wesley.
- 1994 Job Shift: How To Prosper In A Workplace Without Jobs. Reading, MA: Addison-Wesley. Brown, Duane, Linda Brooks and Associates.
- 1990 Career Choice and Development. (2nd Edition) San Francisco: Jossey Bass Inc.
- 1996 Career Choice and Development. (3rd Edition) San Francisco: Jossey Bass Inc.
Brown, Paul B. 1992 In And For The World: Bringing The Contemporary Into Christian Worship. Minneapolis: Fortress Press.
Brueggemann, Walter. 1995 ‘Covenanting As Human Vocation’ in The Psalms And The Life Of Faith. P.D. Miller (ed) pp.150-166. Minneapolis: Fortress.
Brunner, Emil. 1937 The Divine Imperative: A Study in Christian Ethics. Trans. Olive Wyon. London: Lutterworth Press.
Brussat, Frederic and Mary Ann Brussat (eds). 1994 100 Ways to Keep Your Soul Alive. San Francisco: Harper San Francisco.
- 1996 Spiritual Literacy: Reading The Sacred in Everyday Life. New York: Scribner.
Bucy, Ralph D. (Ed). 1978 The New Laity: Between Church and World. Waco, TX: Word Inc.
Butland, Cameron (ed). 1985 Work In Worship. London: Hodder and Stoughton.
Calvin, John.  1989 Institutes of the Christian Religion (translated by Henry Beveridge). 2 volumes. Grand Rapids: Eerdmans.
Catherwood, F. 1966 The Christian In Industrial Society 2nd edition. London: Tyndale.
- 1980 The Christian In Industrial Society 3rd edition. Leicester: IVP.
Chenu, M.D. 1963 The Theology of Work: An Exploration. Trans. Lilian Soiron. Dublin: Gill and Son (Originally published as Pour une Theologie du Travail Paris: Editions du Seuil, 1955).
- 1970 ‘Work’ in Sacramentum Mundi- Volume 6 pp.368-373. London: Burns and Oates.
Clark, Margaret (ed). 1986 Beyond Expectations. Wellington: Allen and Unwin N.Z. Ltd.
Clarke, R. 1982 Work in Crisis. Edinburgh: St. Andrews Press.
Cobble, James F. 1985 Faith and Crisis in the Stages of Life. Peabody, MA: Hendrickson.
Coddington, Dean and Donald Orvis. 1989 Christianity in the Workplace: Your Faith On The Job. Elgin, IL: David C. Cook.
Coleman, Lyman (ed). 1994 Marketplace: Surviving in the Real World. Littelton, CO: Serendipity House.
Colson, Chuck and Jack Eckerd. 1991 Why America Doesn’t Work. Dallas, Texas: Word Publishing.
Congar, Yves. 1957 Lay People in the Church: A Study for a Theology of Laity. Trans. Donald Attwiter. London: Geoffrey Chapman. (Originally published in French by Les Editions du Cerf as Jalons pour une theologie du lai cat).
- 1960 Laity Church and World. Trans. Donald Attwiter. London: Geoffrey Chapman.
Coughlan, Peter. 1989 The Hour Of The Laity: Their Expanding Role. Newtown, N.S.W.: E.J. Dwyer.
Covey, Stephen R. and A. Roger and Rebecca R. Merrill. 1994 First Things First: To Live, to Love, to Learn and to Leave a Legacy. New York: Simon and Schuster.
Cowley, Joy and Terry Coles. 1989 Aotearoa Psalms: Prayers of a New People. Wellington: Catholic Supplies (NZ) Ltd.
- 1996 Psalms Down Under. Wellington: Catholic Supplies (NZ) Ltd.
Cox, Shelagh (ed). 1987 Public And Private Worlds: Women In Contemporary New Zealand. Wellington: Allen & Unwin N.Z. Ltd.
Crabtree, Davida Foy. 1989 The Empowering Church: How One Congregation Supports Lay People’s Ministries in the World. Washington DC: Alban Institute.
- 1991 ‘They Bring Their Work To Church’ in Pierce, Gregory F. Augustine (ed) Of Human Hands. Minneapolis: Augsburg.
Cusack, J. M. 1987 Bible Studies For Working People. Oamaru: J. M. Cusack.
Darragh, Neil. 1995 Doing Theology Ourselves: A Guide to Research and Action. Auckland: Accent.
Davis, Brian. 1995 The Way Ahead: Anglican Change and Prospect in New Zealand. Christchurch: Caxton Press.
Dawson, Jenny. 1997a ‘New Ministry Educator Hopes to Create a Splash’ in Anglican Action Aug/Sept 1997 p.16. Newsletter of the Diocese of Christchurch, New Zealand.
- 1997b ‘Partners From The Beginning’ in Ecustics, newsletter of the Conference of Churches in Aotearoa, New Zealand. No 57, September 1997.
Delaney, Joan. 1996 ‘Ecumenical Formation in the 1990s and Beyond: The Role of Ecumenical Institutes’ in The Ecumenical Review Volume 48 No. 1, January 1996.
De Vaus, David. 1985 Work, Sex and Religion. Zadok Series One Paper S26. Canberra: Zadok Centre.
Diehl, William E. 1976 Christianity And Real Life. Philadelphia: Fortress Press.
- 1982 Thank God It’s Monday! Minneapolis: Augsburg.
- 1987 In Search of Faithfulness. Philadelphia: Fortress Press.
- 1991 The Monday Connection. New York: Harper Collins.
- 1993 ‘Bringing The Workplace into The Worship Place’ in Robert J. Banks Faith Goes to Work. Washington DC: Alban Institute.
- 1996 Ministry In Daily Life. Washington DC: Alban Institute.
Doberstein, John W. 1964 The Minister’s Prayer Book. London: Collins.
Doohan, Leonard. 1984 The Lay-Centered Church. New York: Harper and Row.
Dozier, Verna J. (ed.) 1988 The Calling Of The Laity. Washington DC: Alban Institute.
Dozier, Verna J. with Celia A. Hahn. 1982 The Authority Of The Laity. Washington DC: Alban Institute.
Drane, John. 1994 Evangelism For A New Age: Creating Churches for the Next Century. London: Marshall Pickering.
Dreyer, Elizabeth A. 1994 Earth Crammed With Heaven: A Spirituality Of Everyday Life. New York: Paulist Press.
Droel, William L. and Gregory F. Augustine Pierce. 1987 Confident and Competent: A Challenge for the Lay Church. Notre Dame, Indiana: Ave Maria Press.
Edwards, Denise. 1992 ‘Career and Life Planning’. Unpublished Research Paper for AZUSA Pacific University incorporating outline for Bible College of New Zealand ‘Career and Life Planning’ Course.
Eldred-Grigg, Stevan. 1990 New Zealand Working People 1890-1990. Palmerston North: Dunmore Press.
Ellul, Jacques. 1964 The Technological Society. New York: Vintage Books.
- 1967 The Presence of The Kingdom. New York: Seabury.
- 1976 The Ethics of Freedom. Grand Rapids: Eerdmans.
- 1985 ‘From The Bible to a History of Non-Work’ in Crosscurrents Vol 35, No. 1, Spring 1985 pp.43-48.
Else, Anne. 1996 False Economy: New Zealanders face the conflict between paid and unpaid work. North Shore City, NZ: Tandem Press.
Engels, Friedrich. 1971 The Condition of the Working Class in England. Translated and edited by W.O. Henderson and W.H. Chaloner. 2nd Edition. Oxford: Blackwell.
Engnell, Ivan. 1962 ‘Work in the Old Testament’ in Riesenfeld H., Svensk Exegetisk Arsbok 26 . pp.5-12. Uppsala: Gleerup.
Etchells, Ruth. 1995 Set My People Free: A Lay Challenge To The Churches. London: Harper Collins.
Everist, Norma Cook and Nelvin Vos. 1996 Where In The World Are You: Connecting Faith and Daily Life. Washington DC: Alban Institute.
Ferguson, Marilyn. 1980 The Aquarian Conspiracy: Personal and Social Transformation in the 1980’s. London: Paladin Books.
Fowler, James W. 1981 Stages of Faith. New York: Harper Collins.
- 1984 Becoming Adult Becoming Human. Blackburn, Victoria: Dove Communication.
- 1987 Faith Development and Pastoral Care. Philadelphia: Fortress.
- 1991 Weaving the New Creation. New York: Harper Collins.
- 1995 Faithful Change: The Personal and Public Challenges of Postmodern Life. Nashville: Abingdon.
Fox, Matthew. 1983 Original Blessing: A Primer In Creation Spirituality. Santa Fe: Bear and Co.
- 1994 The Reinvention of Work: A New Vision of Livelihood for Our Time. San Francisco: Harper Collins.
Francis de Sales.  1962 Introduction to the Devout Life. Michael Day (Trans) London: Bruns and Oates.
Fraser, Ian M. 1988 (1980) Reinventing Theology As The People’s Work. (3rd Revised Edition). Glasgow: Wild Goose Publications.
Gaines, David P. 1966 The World Council of Churches: A Study of Its Background and History. Peterborough, New Hampshire: Richard R. Smith.
Gamble, Robin. 1991 The Irrelevant Church. Eastbourne: Monarch.
G’Artner, B. 1962 ‘Work In The New Testament’ in Riesenfeld H., Svensk Exegetisk Arsbok 26 pp.13-18. Uppsala: Gleerup.
Gibbs, Mark and T. Ralph Morton. 1964 God’s Frozen People. London: Collins/Fontana.
- 1971 God’s Lively People. London: Collins/Fontana.
Gold, Hyam and Alan Webster. 1990 New Zealand Values Today. Palmerston North: Alpha Publications.
Goosen, G. 1974 The Theology of Work. Dublin: Mercier.
Gray, Alison. 1983 The Jones Men. Wellington: AH & AW Reed Ltd.
Green, Thomas. 1981 Darkness in the Marketplace: The Christian At Prayer in the World. Notre Dame: Ave Maria Press.
- 1988 Come Down Zacchaeus: Spirituality and the Laity. Notre Dame: Ave Maria Press.
Grigor, Jean C. 1985 Work Relationships. Swindon, England: Bible Society.
Hagberg, Janet. 1993 ‘The Faith-Work Journey: Developing and Deepening the Connection between Faith and Work’ in Robert J. Banks Faith Goes To Work pp. 172-183. Washington DC: Alban Institute.
Hagberg, Janet and Robert Guelich.  1995 The Critical Journey: Stages in the Life of Faith. Salon, WI: Sheffield Publishing Co.
Hall, Eddy and Gary Morsch. 1995 The Lay Ministry Revolution. Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Books.
Hammond, J.L. and Barbara Hammond. 1926 The Rise of Modern Industry. New York: Harcourt Bruce and Company.
Handy, Charles. 1989 The Age of Unreason. London: Arrow Books.
- 1994 The Empty Raincoat. London: Arrow Books.
Haney, David P. 1972 Renew My Church. Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan.
- 1973 The Idea Of The Laity. Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan.
- 1974 Breakthrough Into Renewal. Nashville: Broadman Press.
- 1978 The Lord And His Laity. Nashville: Broadman Press.
Hardy, Lee. 1985 The Christian And Career Choice. Grand Rapids, Michigan: CRC Publications.
- 1990 The Fabric of This World. Grand Rapids, Michigan: Eerdmans.
Harkness, Georgia. 1962 The Church And Its Laity. Nashville: Abingdon.
Harris, Janis Long. 1992 Secrets of People Who Love Their Work. Downers Grove, Illinois: IVP.
Hart, Ian. 1994 ‘A Theology of Everyday Work’ unpublished PhD. Thesis.
- 1995a ‘The Teaching of Luther and Calvin about Ordinary Work: 1 Martin Luther (1483-1546)’ in Evangelical Quarterly Volume 67 No. 1 (1995). pp.35-52.
- 1995b ‘The Teaching of Luther and Calvin about Ordinary Work: 2 John Calvin (1509-64)’ in Evangelical Quarterly Volume 67 No. 2 (1995). pp.121-135.
- 1995c ‘The Teaching of the Puritans about Ordinary Work’ in Evangelical Quarterly Volume 67 No. 3 (1995). pp.195-209.
Hauerwas, Stanley M. 1995 In Good Company. Durham, NC: Duke University Press.
Haughey, John C. 1989 Converting Nine to Five: A Spirituality of Daily Work. New York: Crossroad.
Hebblethwaite, P. 1968 ‘Work and Man’ in The Way (July 1968).
Hegel, Friedrich. 1961 [1795 - 1799] On Christianity: Early Theological Writings. New York: Harper & Brothers.
Heiges, Donald R. 1984 The Christian’s Calling. Philadelphia: Fortess Press.
Higginson, Richard. 1993 Called To Account. Guildford, Surrey: Eagle.
- 1994 ‘The World of Business’ in David Atkinson, Pastoral Ethics. Oxford, England: Lynx Communications.
- 1996 Transforming Leadership. London: SPCK.
Hill, Napolean. 1990 Think and Grow Rich. USA: Fawcett Books.
- 1996 You Can Work Your Own Miracles. USA: Fawcett Books.
Hiltner, S. 1972 ‘Need: A New Theology of Word’ in Theology Today October 1972, pp.243-247.
Hoffmann, Bengt. 1970 ‘Theological Annotations on the Leisure-Work-Poverty Complex’ in The Lutheran Quarterly Vol 22 No. 3, August 1970.
Hoffmann, Victor. 1970 ‘Work, Leisure and the Centre of Life’ in Lutheran Quarterly Vol 22 No. 3, August 1970.
Holl, Karl. 1958 ‘The History of the Word Vocation (Beruf)’. H.F. Peacock trans. Review and Expositor 55 (April 1958): 126-154.
Hore-Lacy 1985 Creating Common Wealth. New South Wales: Albatross.
Horrill, Seton. 1995 Forging A Workplace Mission: The ITIM Story 1970 - 1995. Orewa: Col Com Press.
Huggett, Joyce. 1993 Finding God In The Fast Lane. Guilford, Surrey: Eagle.
Hybels, Bill. 1993 Christians In The Marketplace. London: Hodder & Stoughton.
Illich, I. 1981 Shadow Work. Boston: M. Boyers.
Jacobsen, Steve. 1997 Hearts To God, Hands To Work: Connecting Spirituality and Work. Washington DC: Alban Institute.
Jamieson, Alan. 1995 ‘James Fowler’s Faith Development Theory.’ Unpublished M.A. paper. University of Canterbury.
Johnson, A. 1968 ‘Technological Trends and Work - A Mixed Vision’ in Lutheran World Vol 15. No. 2.
John Paul II 1979 Redemptor Hominus. Boston: St Paul.
- 1981 Laborem Exercens: On Human Work. Homebush NSW: St Paul Publications.
- 1989 Christifideles Laic: On the Vocation and the Mission of the Lay Faithful in the Church and in the World. Homebush NSW: St Paul Publications.
- 1990 Peace with God the Creator, Peace with all of Creation. Homebush NSW: St Paul Publications.
- 1991 Centesimus Annus: On the Hundredth Anniversary of Rerum Novarum. Washington DC: US Catholic Conference.
- 1991 Redemptoris Missio: On the Permanent Validity of the Church’s Missionary Mandate. Homebush, NSW: St Paul Publications.
Jones, Gordon and Rosemary. 1991 Naturally Gifted: A Christian Perspective on Personality, Gifts and Abilities. London: Scripture Union.
Kaiser, Edwin G. 1966 Theology of Work. Westminister: The Newman Press.
Kane, Margaret. 1975 Theology in an Industrial Society. London: S.C.M.
- 1980 The Gospel and Industrial Society. London: S.C.M.
Kelly, B. 1969 ‘Towards a Theology of Work’ in The Irish Quarterly October 1969, pp.315-326.
Kinsler, F. Ross (ed). 1983 Ministry By The People: Theological Education by Extension. Geneva: WCC.
Kraemer, Hendrik. 1958 A Theology of the Laity. London: Lutterworth Press.
Kudadjie, Joshuah N. 1986 ‘Complementary Theologizing’ in Amirtham S. and John S. Pobee (eds) Theology By The People. Geneva: WCC.
Kumar, K. 1984 ‘The Social Culture of Work: Work, Employment and Unemployment as Ways of Life’, New Universities Quarterly, Vol. 34, 1979/80, reprinted in K. Thompson (ed), Work, Employment and Unemployment. London: Open University, pp.2-17.
Lawrence, Brother.  1989 The Practice of the Presence of God. E.M. Blaiklock (trans). London: Hodder and Stoughton.
Lecky, Dolores R. 1987 Laity Stirring The Church. Philadelphia: Fortress Press.
Little, David. 1970 Religion, Order and Law: A Study in Pre-Revolutionary England. Oxford: B. Blackwell.
Loffler, P. 1971 ‘Theology as Process: Theological Reflections in Urban and Industrial Mission’ in Study Encounter Vol. 7, No. 2. Geneva: WCC.
Mackenzie, Alistair J. 1996a ‘A Faith That Works’ in In Touch Issue 1-1996, magazine of the International Fellowship of Evangelical Students. Harrow: U.K.
- 1996b ‘Thank God It’s Monday’ in Canvas Issue 3-4th Quarter 1996 magazine of the Tertiary Students Christian Fellowship. Wellington: N.Z.
Marcuse, H. 1941 Reason and Revolution. New York: Oxford University Press.
Marshall, Paul. 1980 ‘Vocation, Work and Jobs’ in Paul Marshall et al. Labour of Love: Essays on Work pp.1-19. Toronto: Wedge Publishing Foundation.
- 1988 ‘Calling, Work and Rest’ in M. Noll and D. Wells Christian Faith and Practice in the Modern World pp.199-217. Grand Rapids: Eerdmans.
- 1993 Callings: Spirituality, Work and Duty in Sixteenth and Seventeenth Century England. (Unpublished manuscript).
May, Helen. 1992 Minding Children, Managing Men: Conflict and Compromise in the Lives of Postwar Pakeha Women. Wellington: Bridget Williams Books.
Mayland, Jean. 1991 ‘The People of God and the Ecumenical Future’ in The Ecumenical Review, Volume 43, Number 1, January 1991. pp.37-42.
McIntosh, Lawrence D. 1994 A Style Manual for the Presentation of Papers and Theses in Religion and Theology. Wagga Wagga, NSW: Centre for Information Studies.
McKenna, Elizabeth Perle. 1997 When Work Doesn’t Work Anymore: Women, Work and Identity. Rydalmere, NSW: Hodder & Stoughton.
McLennan, Roy and David Gilbertson 1984 Work in New Zealand. Wellington: AH & AW Reed Ltd.
Mead, Loren B. 1991 The Once and Future Church. Washington DC: Alban Institute.
- 1996 Five Challenges ForThe Once And Future Church. Washington DC: Alban Institute.
Meeks, M. Douglas. 1989 God The Economist. Philadelphia: Fortress Press.
Melanchthon, Philip. 1530 The Augsburg Confession of Faith - English translation on Internet http://www.forerunner.com/chalcedon/xo. 204
Menking, Stanley J. and Barbara Wendland. 1993 God’s Partners: Lay Christians At Work. Valley Forge: Judson Press.
Merton, Thomas. 1955 No Man Is An Island. London: Burns and Oates.
Miller, Alexander. 1953 ‘Towards a Contemporary Doctrine of Vocation’ in Christian Faith and Social Action. Edited by John A. Hutchison. New York: Charles Scribner’s Sons.
Moltmann, Jurgen. 1975 The Experiment Hope. London: SCM Press.
- 1977 The Church in the Power of the Spirit. London: SCM Press.
- 1984 ‘The Right to Meaningful Work’ in J. Moltmann On Human Dignity pp.37-58. Philadelphia: Fortress Press.
- 1985 God In Creation. London: SCM.
Moore, Thomas. 1992 Care Of The Soul. New York: Harper Collins.
- 1996 Spiritual Literacy: Reading The Sacred In Everyday Life. New York: Scribner.
Mouw, Richard J. 1994a ‘Ending the Cold War Between Theologians and Laypeople’ in Christianity Today. July 18, 1994.
- 1994b Consulting the Faithful. Grand Rapids: Eerdmans.
Moynagh, M. 1985 Making Unemployment Work. London: Lion.
- 1995 ‘Vocation’ in New Dictionary of Christian Ethics and Pastoral Theology edited by David J. Atkinson and David H. Field. Leicester, England / Downers Grove, USA: IVP.
Myers, Virginia. 1986 Head and Shoulders. Auckland: Penguin Books.
Nash, Laura L. 1994 Believers in Business. Nashville TN: Thomas Nelson Inc.
Neill, Stephen C.N. and Hans-Ruedi Weber. 1963 The Layman in Christian History. London: SCM.
Nelson, Thomas (publishers) 1993 The Word in Life Study Bible. Nashville: Thomas Nelson.
- 1994 Making Your Work Count For God. Nashville: Thomas Nelson.
Newbigin, Lesslie. 1987 Mission in Christ’s Way. Geneva: WCC.
- 1989 The Gospel in a Pluralist Society. Grand Rapids / Geneva: Eerdmans / WCC.
Nippert-Eng, Christena E. 1996 Home and Work: Negotiating Boundaries through Everyday Life. Chicago / London: University of Chicago Press.
Novitz, Rosemary. 1987 ‘Bridging The Gap: Paid and Unpaid Work’ in Shelagh Cox (ed) Public And Private Worlds. Wellington: Allen & Unwin N.Z. Ltd.
Nydam, Clara Hurd (ed). 1994 Strategic Careers Coalition Bibliography. Colorado Springs, CO: Strategic Careers Coalition.
O’Connor, Elizabeth. 1963 Call To Commitment. New York: Harper and Row.
- 1968 Journey Inward, Journey Outward. New York: Harper and Row.
Ogden, Greg. 1990 The New Reformation: Returning the Ministry to the People of God. Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan.
Oldham, J.H. 1948a ‘A Responsible Society’ pp.120-154 in The Church and the Disorder in Society. London: SCM.
- 1948b ‘Technics and Civilisation’ pp.29-49 in The Church and the Disorder in Society. London: SCM.
- 1950 Work In Modern Society. London: SCM.
O’Toole, J. (Chairman) 1973 Work in America: Report of a Special Task Force to the Secretary of Health, Education and Welfare. Cambridge, Mass: MIT Press.
Page, Patricia N. 1993 All God’s People Are Ministers. Minneapolis: Augsburg.
Park, Julie (ed). 1991 Ladies A Plate: Change and Continuity in the Lives of New Zealand Women. Auckland: Auckland University Press.
Parrott, Leslie L. and Les. 1995 The Career Counselor. Dallas: Word Publishing.
Patterson, Ben. 1994 Work: Serving God By What We Do. Downers Grove, IL: IVP.
Paul VI 1964 ‘Dogmatic Constitution on the Church’ (Lumen Gentium) in Abbott, Walter M. The Documents of Vatican II pp.14-96. London: Geoffrey Chapman 1966.
- 1965a ‘Decree on the Apostolate of the Laity’ (Apostolicam Actuositatem) in Abbott, Walter M. The Documents of Vatican II pp.489-521. London: Geoffrey Chapman 1966.
- 1965b ‘Pastoral Constitution on the Church in the Modern World’ (Gaudium Et Spes) in Abbott, Walter M. The Documents of Vatican II pp.199- 308. London: Geoffrey Chapman, 1966.
- 1965c ‘Decree on the Church’s Missionary Activity’ (Ad Gentes) in Flannery, Austin Vatican Council II: The Conuliar and Post Conuliar Documents pp.813-862. Collegeville, Minnesota: Liturgical Press.
- 1976 On Evangelization in the Modern World (Evangelii Nuntiandi). Homebush, NSW: Society of St Paul.
Peck, M. Scott. 1978 The Road Less Travelled. New York: Simon & Schuster.
- 1987 The Different Drum. New York: Simon & Schuster.
- 1993a A World Waiting To Be Born: Civility Rediscovered. New York: Bantam Books.
- 1993b Further Along The Road Less Travelled. New York: Simon & Schuster.
- 1997 The Road Less Travelled and Beyond. New York: Simon & Schuster.
Peck, George and John S. Hoffman (eds) 1984 The Laity in Ministry. Valley Forge, PA: Judson Press. Peterson, Candida.
- 1989 Looking Forward Through The Life Span (second edition). Sydney: Prentice Hall.
Peterson, Jim. 1992 Church Without Walls. Colorado Springs, CO: Nav Press.
Phipps, Simon. 1966 God On Monday. London: Hodder and Stoughton.
Pierce, Gregory F. Augustine (ed). 1991 Of Human Hands: A Reader in the Spirituality of Work. Minneapolis: Augsburg.
Pieper, Josef. 1952 Leisure: The Basis of Culture. London: Faber and Faber.
Preece, Gordon. 1991 ‘Biblical Distinctives For Work’ in Choices At The Coalface. A Discussion paper published by the Social Issues Committee of the Anglican Diocese of Sydney.
- 1993 ‘The Three Fold Call: The Trinitarian Character of our Everyday Vocations’ in Banks R.J. (ed) Faith Goes To Work pp.160-170. Washington DC: Alban Institute.
- 1994 Unpublished PhD thesis. Dept. Of Theology, Fuller Theological Seminary, Pasadena, California, USA.
- 1995 Changing Work Values: A Christian Response. Melbourne: Acorn Press.
- 1997 Review of ‘A Kind of Life Imposed on Man: Vocation and Social Order from Tyndale to Locke’ by Paul Marshall in Theology Today 54. pp.278-280.
Press, The. 1994 ‘Jobs biggest stress on people - survey’ in The Press - Christchurch newspaper, 14 November 1994.
Preston, Ronald. 1983 ‘Pope John Paul II on Work’ in Theology No 86.
Rahner, K. 1966 ‘Theological Remarks on the Problem of Leisure’ in Theological Investigations Vol. 4. London: Darton, Longman and Todd (originally published in Oberrhein Patoralblatt 60 (1959)).
Raiser, Konrad. 1993 ‘Laity in the Ecumenical Movement’ in The Ecumenical Review, Volume 45, Number 4, October 1993. pp.375-383.
Reber, Robert E. 1991 Linking Faith and Daily Life: An Educational Program for Lay People (includes Leader’s Guide and Participant’s Packet). Washington DC: Alban Institute.
Reck, D. 1964 The Theoretical Bases of a Theology of Work. Irish Theological Quarterly, pp.228-239.
Redekop, Calvin W. 1996 Entrepreneurs in the Faith Community: Profiles of Mennonites in Business. Scottdale, PN: Herald Press.
Richardson, Alan. 1952 The Biblical Doctrine of Work. London: SCM.
Robinson, J.A.T, Michael Bruce, Mark Gibbs and others. 1963 Layman’s Church. London: Lutterworth.
Roozen, David A, William McKimey and Jackson W. Carroll. 1984 Varieties of Religious Presence: Mission in Public Life. New York: Pilgrim Press.
Rowthorn, Anne. 1986 The Liberation Of The Laity. Harrisburg, PA: Moorehouse.
Ruppell, Gert. 1993 ‘Following Christ in a World on Anguish: Laity and its Mission to the Churches’ in The Ecumenical Review, Volume 45, Number 4, October 1993. pp.392-346.
Rutz, James H. 1992 The Open Church. Beaumont, TX.: The Seedsowers.
Ryken, Leland. 1986 Worldly Saints: The Puritans As They Really Were. Grand Rapids: Zondervan.
- 1987 Work and Leisure in Christian Perspective. Portland, Oregan: Multnomah Press.
- 1995 Redeeming the Time: A Christian Approach to Work and Leisure. Grand Rapids: Baker Books.
Samuel, Vinay and Chris Sugden (eds). 1987 The Church In Response To Human Need. Grand Rapids: Eerdmans.
Savary, L. 1967 Man: His World and His Work. New York: Paulist Press.
Scanzoni, John. 1973 ‘The Christian View of Work’ in Henry C. et al., Quest For Reality: Christianity and the Counter Culture. Downers Grove, Illinois: IVP.
Scott, Waldron. 1980 Bring Forth Justice: A Contemporary Perspective on Mission. Grand Rapids: Eerdmans.
Schein, Edgar H. 1978 Career Dynamics: Matching Individual and Organizational Needs. Philippines: Addison-Wesley Publishing Co.
Schumacher, Christian. 1987 To Live and To Work: A Theological Interpretation. Bromley, Kent: MARC-Europe.
Schumacher, E. Fritz. 1980 Good Work. New York: Harper and Row. Scotland, Nigel.
- 1997 ‘Methodism and the English Labour Movement 1800-1906’ in Anvil Volume 14 No. 1 1997. pp.36-48
Sheehy, Gail. 1976 Passages: Predictable Crises of Adult Life. New York: Dutton.
- 1981 Pathfinders. New York: Bantam Books.
- 1995 New Passages: Mapping Your Life Across Time. New York: Random House.
Sherman, Doug and William Hendricks. 1987 Your Work Matters To God. Colorado Springs: NavPress.
- 1988 Your Work Matters To God: Study Guide. Colorado Springs: Nav Press.
Smith, Graeme W. 1990 ‘The Theology of Work in the Postwar Period’. Unpublished MA thesis, Dept. of Religious Studies, University of Sydney.
Soelle, Dorothea with Shirley A. Cloyes. 1984 To Work and To Love: A Theology of Creation. Philadelphia: Fortress Press.
Sofield, Loughlan and Donald H. Kuhn. 1995 The Collaborative Leader: Listening to the Wisdom of God’s People. Notre Dame, Indiana: Ave Maria Press.
Steinbron, Melvin J. 1997 The Lay Driven Church. Ventura, CA: Regal.
Stevens, R. Paul. 1985 Liberating The Laity. Downers Grove, Illinois: IVP.
- 1992 The Equipper’s Guide to Every-Member Ministry. Downers Grove, Illinois: IVP.
Stevens R. Paul and Phil Collins. 1993 The Equipping Pastor: A Systems Approach to Congregational Leadership. Washington DC: Alban Institute.
Stevens, R. Paul and Gerry Schoberg. 1989 Satisfying Work: Christian Living From Nine to Five. Wheaton, IL: Harold Shaw.
Stevens, Paul. 1993a A Passion For Work. Sydney: Centre For Worklife Counselling.
- 1993b Stop Postponing The Rest Of Your Life. Berkeley, CA: Ten Speed Press.
Stone, Peter. 1989a ‘Theological Education For The Laity: Part 1: Policy and Practices at the London Institute for Contemporary Christianity’ in Journal Of Christian Education, Papers 94, April 1989.
- 1989b ‘Theological Education For The Laity: Part 2: Reflections and Conclusions’ in Journal Of Christian Education, Papers 96, December 1989.
Stott, John. 1979a ‘Reclaiming The Biblical Doctrine of Work’ in Christianity Today Vol 23, May 4. 211
- 1979b ‘Creative By Creation: Our Need for Work’ in Christianity Today Vol 23, June 8.
- 1984 Issues Facing Christians Today. Basingstoke: Marshall, Morgan and Scott.
Symanowski, Horst. 1966 The Christian Witness in an Industrial Society. London: Collins.
Tawney, R.H. 1964  Religion and the Rise of Capitalism. London: Penguin.
Terkel, Studs. 1974 Working: People Talk about What They Do All Day and How They Feel About What They Do. New York: Pantheon
Troeltsch, E.  1949 The Social Teaching of the Christian Churches. London: Allen and Unwin.  1986 Protestantism and Progress. Philadelphia: Fortress Press
Trueblood, Elton. 1952 Your Other Vocation. New York: Harper and Row.
- 1961 Company of the Committed. New York: Harper & Row.
- 1967 The Icendiary Fellowship. New York: Harper & Row.
Tucker, Graham. 1987 The Faith-Work Connection: A Practical Application of Christian Values in the Workplace. Toronto: Anglican Book Centre.
Volf, Miroslav. 1984 ‘On Human Work: An Evaluation of the Key Ideas of the Encyclical Laborem Exercens’. Scottish Journal of Theology Vol 137, pp.65- 79.
- 1985 Das Marxsche Verstandnis der Arbeit: Eine theologische Wertung. ThD thesis, Univ. Of Tubingen.
- 1991 Work In The Spirit: Toward A Theology of Work. New York: Oxford University Press.
Ward, Patricia A. And Martha G. Stout. 1981 Christian Women At Work. Grand Rapids, MI.: Zondervan.
WCC (World Council of Churches) 1954 Evanston Speaks: Reports from the Second Assembly of the World Council of Churches, August 15-31, 1954. London/Geneva: SCM / WCC.
- 1982a Baptism, Eucharist And Ministry. Geneva: WCC.
- 1982b Mission And Evangelism. Geneva: WCC.
Weavings 1993 ‘Working Faithfully’ - Weavings Volume VIII No. 1 January/February 1993.
Weber, Hans-Ruedi. 1963 Salty Christians. New York: Seabury Press.
Weber, Max.  1970 The Protestant Ethic and the Spirit of Capitalism. London: Unwin University Books.
- 1964 The Sociology of Religion. Boston: Beacon Press.
Webster, Alan and Paul Perry. 1989 The Religious Factor in New Zealand Society. Palmerston North: Alpha Publications.
- 1992 What Difference Does It Make? Palmerston North: Alpha Publications.
Westcott, David. 1996 Work Well: Live Well - Rediscovering a biblical view of work. London: Marshall Pickering.
Westerhoff, John H. and William H. Willimon. 1980 Liturgy and Learning Through the Life Cycle. New York: Seabury Press.
Westermann, C. 1980 ‘Work, Civilisation and the Bible’ in Concilium No 131 Work and Religion pp.81-91.
Whitehead, Evelyn Eaton and James D. Whitehead. 1984 Seasons of Strength. New York: Doubleday.
- 1988 The Emerging Laity. New York: Doubleday.
- 1992  Christian Life Patterns. New York: Crossroad.
- 1992 Community of Faith: Crafting Christian Communities Today. Mystic, CT: Twenty-Third Publications.
Wickham, E.R. 1957 Church and People in an Industrial City. London: Lutterworth.
Wiebe, Katie Funk. 1995 Border Crossing: A Spiritual Journey. Scottdale, Pennsylvania: Herald Press.
Wingren, Gustaf. 1958 The Christian’s Calling: Luther On Vocation. Carl C. Rasmussen trans. London: Oliver and Boyd.
Wood, Beulah. 1989 What Makes Her Tick? Auckland: Rajkumari Trust.
Wuthnow, Robert. 1994 God And Mammon In America. New York: Macmillan.
Wuthnow, Robert (ed) 1995 Rethinking Materialism: Perspectives on the Spiritual Dimension of Economic Behaviour. Grand Rapids, MI: Eerdmans.