Recommended Books and Bibliographies About the Theology of Work
This list of popular books will give you an introduction to issues related to the theology of work. For advanced study, this page also provides links to comprehensive bibliographies on faith and work, and additional books written by TOW Project members.
POPULAR INTRODUCTIONS TO THE THEOLOGY OF WORK
- Every Good Endeavour: Connecting Your Work to God’s Work - Tim Keller and Katherine Leary Alsdorf. Penguin, 2012.
- Work Matters: Connecting Sunday Worship to Monday Work - Tom Nelson. Crossway, 2011. (Includes discussion questions)
- Work: A Kingdom Perspective on Labor - Ben Witherington. Eerdmans, 2011.
- Work Matters: Lessons from Scripture - R. Paul Stevens. Eerdmans, 2012. (Work issues explored through Bible characters, with discussion questions)
- Kingdom Calling: Vocational Stewardship for the Common Good - Amy Sherman. IVP, 2011.
- Where’s God on Monday? - Alistair Mackenzie and Wayne Kirkland. Hendrickson, 2015. (includes discussion questions, Study Guide here)
- 24/7 Christian: The Secular Vocation of the Laity - Christine M Fetcher. Liturgical Press: Collegeville MI, 2015. (An introduction for Roman Catholic readers.)
- God at Work: Your Christian Vocation in All of Life - Gene Edward Veith Jr. Crossway: Wheaton IL, 2002. (A Lutheran perspective)
SMALL GROUP INTRODUCTORY STUDIES
- Reframe – Regent College Vancouver 10 week course on the Gospel in all of life. Full sessions available free online.
- For the Life of the World – a 7 part film series on faith and culture (includes booklet)
- Transforming Work - London Institute for Contemporary Christianity - 8 group sessions over a year (includes workbook)
- Redeeming Work - 6 week series produced by Christianity Today including videos and workbook
- Every Good Endeavor Small Group Study Guide - free download by Nancy Erisman
- Soul Purpose - Grounded in God’s call to us in Scripture, this book will help you explore your "Soul Purpose", especially through the workbook that forms a large core of the text. We'll ask you to unpack and tell your unique story. Then we’ll look at your personality, knowledge, talents and skills , spiritual gifts, and finally your values, desires and passions.
- Just Decisions - This book is all about making decisions – ones that are consistent with our Christian faith - especially in the marketplace. Ones that are good, right, just, and appropriate.
ADVANCED STUDY: COMPREHENSIVE BIBLIOGRAPHIES FOR FAITH, WORK AND ECONOMICS
- Books Related to Work and Faith compiled by Al Erisman, TOW Project Steering Committee member and Executive in Residence, Seattle Pacific University School of Business, Government and Economics
- Annotated Bibliography on the Theology of Work and Economics by Greg Forster, Director of the Oikonomia Network, and the Center for Transformational Churches at Trinity International University
- Workplace Resource List for Lausanne Global Leadership Forum 2013
- Faith and Work Bibliography compiled by Robert Barnett Mockler Center for Faith and Ethics in the Workplace
- Business as Mission Bibliography compiled by Dr. Steven Rundle, professor of economic and international business at Biola University
BOOKS WRITTEN BY TOW AND TOW PROJECT MEMBERS