This lesson is part of God's Story of Work for Kids, a 12-week curriculum that teaches children to see work through God's perspective. To see all materials in this curriculum go to God's Story of Work for Kids Table of Contents.
SMALL GROUP ACTIVITY FOR LESSON 11: turning up the wattage
- paper and pencil for each student or team
- poster board, post-it notes, markers, and pens for each team
OPENING ACTIVITY: Electrical impact (7 MINUTES)
Pair up students or have them work on their own. Give each person or team a paper and pencil. Tell them to jot down, in 2 minutes, as many things as they can think of that would be affected if they couldn't be plugged in.
Review - We're so used to having electricity today that we pretty much take it for granted. If we had a blackout for 2 hours, we would miss some of the things we're used to using. What happens when people are not plugged in to God? What happens when they are plugged in to God?
WORKSHEET: Psalm 23 study (15 MINUTES)
Read through Psalm 23 together.
- Have students circle key word that stand out to them.
- Ask students to write down 5 things about who God is and what he is like, based on how David describes God in this psalm.
- Ask if they share David's view of God? Why or why not?
Review- How do we know someone is trustworthy or loving? It's usually because we've experienced someone as trustworthy or loving in the past. David experienced God as trustworthy and loving, when David was fighting lions and bears to protect his father's sheep, and when David fought the giant to save Israel. David also experienced God through prayer and writing songs. God was there for David whether David was singing or fighting.
plugging in (10 MINUTES)
Break the class into 3 teams.
- One team will brainstorm ways to include God in their everyday life.
- The second team will brainstorm what it means to be honest with God in everyday life. What else is there besides telling God about something you did wrong?
- The third team will brainstorm about how to listen for God. What are ways they've heard from God? What would help someone hear from God?
Give each team 8 minutes to work on a poster board with their ideas. Then invite each team to share with the group.
Review- What is one new thing from these lists that you would like to try this week?
SHARE & PRAY (3 MINUTES)
Ask for prayer requests. Pray and bless the students, asking God to reveal more of himself to them in everyday life.