This lesson is part of God's Story of Work for Kids, a 12-week curriculum that teaches children to see work through God's perspective. To see all materials in this curriculum go to God's Story of Work for Kids Table of Contents.
Parent's Take-Home Sheet for Lesson 5: For Such a Time as This
This Week's Focus: God designed when and where we live
This week we learned that not only did God design who we are, he also placed us in a particular time in history. There are no accidents with God. The purpose he has for us coincides with the needs of the world and the work that needs to be done in this moment. A biblical example of this is Esther. Se was an orphan girl raised in Susa, the very place King Xerxes looked for a new wife. By being Queen, Esther was able to help the Jewish people when they faced annihilation.
Do This Week's Workout: Family Life Map
The Weekly Workout is a great way you can work out the week's focus with your child. Invite the whole family into this time. God is at work.
- A large sheet of paper (large enough to allow the family to easily gather around and write or draw on it together.
- markers, colored pencils, pens or pencils
Place a large blank sheet of paper in the middle of the table or floor. Either a piece of butcher paper, poster board, or 8 sheets of legal paper taped together will work.
Write your family name in the center of the paper and draw a circle around it.
Around this circle, write down each place your family goes in a typical week. (Parks, stores, public buildings, etc.) Draw a circle around each of these place names and draw a line connecting these to the center circle.
For each of these places, answer the following questions either aloud or by writing or drawing the answers:
- What is this place like?
- What does this place need?
- What would this place look like if God was in charge?
See the example, what-it-might-look-like-if-God-were-in-charge.pdf
Talk about it: Go around the family circle and share the answers to these questions:
- What areas of need to you care about the most?
- Knowing the skills, resources and personality of your family, what is one thing you can do this week to make one of the places you go more like God wants it to be?